Spicy Fish Tacos
Chef Caroline Taylor
- 2 cups Soda water
- 1.5 cups Korean tempura flour (or if buying from the supermarket, normal tempura batter mix)
- 200g Crimson perch
- 15g Jalapenos
- 350ml Aioli we can make it or just use bought mayo
- ¼ Red cabbage
- ¼ Green cabbage
- 1 handful fresh Coriander
- 4 soft small tortillas (mission brand)
- Salt and pepper to season
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon quartered
- oil for deep frying
- Heat deep frying oil up to 170c, set up a frying station with draining paper and a slotted spoon.
- Shred or slice finely both cabbages and place in a bowl, dress with a little olive oil and lemon juice and mix to make a slaw, set aside,
- Finely chop jalapenos and the stalks of the fresh coriander (keep the leaves for garnish later) add both to the mayonnaise, season and mix thoroughly,
- Make tempura batter by adding cold soda water to the tempura flour, whisking until smooth, keep as cold as possible, add ice if necessary.
- Slice fish into little finger shaped pieces.
- Dunk fish into batter and then place carefully into the frying oil,
- Cook for 2 minutes each piece, it is done when the batter is crisp to the touch, be very careful when touching.
- Place fish on the draining paper
- Microwave the tortillas for 30 seconds, place 1 tbspn of the jalapeno mayo down the centre of the shell in a line.
- Add mixed slaw and place 1 to 2 pieces of the fish on top
- Garnish with fresh coriander