- 1 bulb of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- 3 or 4 parsley stalks, finely chopped
- strips of rind from 1 lemon
- 1.5kg octopus
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Bring a large stock pot with a lid to the heat, add about 7 tablespoons of olive oil to the pot, then add garlic, chilli, parsley stalks and lemon rind.
- Fry slowly for a minute or two without browning the garlic, then add the octopus to the pot.
- Give the pot a shake, put a lid on it and turn the heat down to a steady but slow simmer.
- The octopus will become tender over the next 15 - 20 minutes, depending on the size.
- Lots of liquid will cook out, making a delicious broth.
- To check on its tenderness, stick a fork into it and if it slides through it’s ready. If not leave it to simmer a little longer.
- When it’s cool enough to handle, slice into 1 inch pieces and char-grill quickly on a hot griddle with oil.
- Splash with lemon and season with salt and pepper.