Tea Smoked Mullet and Quinoa Salad
- ½ cup of salt
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- 2-3 cups of water
- 3 bay leaves
- To make the brine you will need a container deep enough for the mixture.
- Place all of the ingredients in the container and mix until the salt and sugar have dissolved then place the fish in the brine and place in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- The longer the fish is left in the brine the saltier it will get.
- Once the time is up remove the fish from the brine, rinse and pat dry.
- 1 cup Black tea
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup rice jasmine/basmati
- 1 mullet
- Fillet the fish per demonstration instructions.
- Using a heavy bottom pot and a colander for the smoking. Line the base of the pot with alfoil and place the smoking mixture on top then secure the colander on top of that and place the fish in the colander. Cover with a lid or more alfoil and place on the stove on a medium to high heat.
- Wait until you see smoke then turn the heat to low and smoke for a further 10 minutes or until the fillets are fully cooked.
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 2 cups Rocket
- ¼ Zucchini
- 7 Green snap beans
- ½ cup Mint
- To taste Salt/pepper
- ½ Lime zest and juice
- To cook the quinoa the ratio is 1:1 water to quinoa.
- So add the 1 cup of quinoa to a pot with 1 cup of water and put it on the stove on a medium to high heat. Once the water has been absorbed completely remove the pot from the stove and put the quinoa in a bowl cover it with glad wrap for 10 minutes. Remove the glad wrap and place in the fridge to completely cool for a cold salad.
- Chop the mint.
- Finely slice the zucchini.
- Zest the lime and juice.
- Top and tail the beans then split down the middle.
- Wash the rocket.
- Combine all of these ingredients together and season them.
Once the quinoa has cooled you can lay a bed of it on a plate then top with the salad mixture and crumble the cooled smoked mullet over the top. Drizzle with some olive oil if desired and lime slices.