Beetroot & Green Ant Gin Cured Threadfin Salmon
- 1 side of salmon, skin on and pin-boned
- 2 medium beetroots, peeled
- 2 oranges, zested
- 4 tbsp juniper berries
- 50ml gin (Green Ant gin)
- 150g coarse sea salt
- 100g golden caster sugar
Avocado mojo ingredients:
- 6 avocadoes, seed out, skinned and diced
- 1 chilli, deseeded, finely diced
- 2 small bunches fresh coriander
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tspn salt and pepper
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 1 large bag of Blue corn chips
- To make the cure, grate the beetroot, tip into a sieve and drain most of the liquid from it. Tip into a food processor’s bowl and add the remaining cure ingredients. Whizz until you have a paste.
- Put 2 large sheets of clingfilm into a large baking tray that fits the salmon. Lay the salmon into the tray skin-side down.
- Spread the cure over the fish, covering all the flesh, sides included. Wrap up tightly in the clingfilm.
- Put another baking tray on top and weight it down with tins. Put in the fridge for 24 hours.
- The day after, remove the clingflim from the salmon and scrape most of the cure off.
- Rinse any remaining cure from the salmon under cold water, and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Thinly slice the salmon with a sharp knife, starting from the tail end at a low angle to remove the salmon from the skin in thin slices.
- Add all diced avocado mojo ingredients together in a bowl and make sure there is enough lime juice to prevent the avocado going brown.
Add a small teaspoon of mojo to the corn chip and top with cured threadfin salmon, Garnish with fresh dill or micro lemon thyme.